Biblefood.com is "Printer Friendly"
Last updated: Sep 23, 2013
Post/Read Comments Here
What's New: Is the Bible "inspired"?
"Insights" From the New Testament Greek
By Bob Jones, Northside Bible Church, Jacksonville Florida
"Eternal Security" for the Child of God:
God's Word teaches that ALL His "born again" children are "eternally secure".
God's children cannot stop being His children, any more than I can stop being a child of my earthly father. God knew ALL about our whole life BEFORE He chose us to be His eternal children:
1. The "New Birth" teaches us that the child of God is eternally secure - we cannot be "un-born again"!
John 3:8 States: "The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born (Greek "perfect tense", permanent and unchangeable) of the Spirit".
1 John 2:29 "If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born (Greek "perfect tense", permanent and unchangeable) of him".
1 John 5:1 "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten (Greek "perfect tense", permanent and unchangeable) of him".
2. Eph 2:8 Tells us that even the faith that saves us is not from us, but is a gift from God.
3. 2 Tim 2:12&13 Teaches that even if we stop believing on Jesus, He may deny us "things", or "blessings" or "rewards" but He remains faithful to us, (we are permanently sealed "in Him") and He cannot deny "himself", and Eph 5:30 states that "we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones".
4. 1 Jn 3:14 Our sins forgiven once and for all. Greek perfect tense.
5. 1 Jn 5:11 We are given ETERNAL (EVERLASTING) life. (everlasting life doesn't end)
6. Heb 12:23 & Rev 21:27, Our name indelibly written in the Book of Life. Greek perfect tense. (Can't be erased)
7. Col 2:10 We are made to be PERMANENTLY COMPLETE "IN CHRIST". Greek perfect tense. (Can't be changed)
8. The parable of the "prodigal son" in Luke 15:10-32, is a good example of "relationship", and "fellowship", notice in this parable of Jesus that the SON of the FATHER, got out of fellowship and into great sin, and when he hit bottom and returned to his father, honestly admitting his sins, the prodigal son was restored to FULL FELLOWSHIP, inheritance and all! (Notice also that this made the "self righteous brother" mad as fire!)
9. 1 Cor 5:1-5 The boy in the church at Corinth who was committing incest. Paul said to turn him over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, but that his spirit would be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. (Sin unto death for the flesh, but the spirit is saved)
When a child of God sins, it breaks FELLOWSHIP with the Father, and we come under divine discipline according to Hebrews Chapter 12, but our RELATIONSHIP with our loving heavenly Father cannot be changed. Our relationship is permanent.
The many New Testament passages that speak of "death" to those who sin and are "carnally minded", such as 1 John 5:16, and Rom 8:6 and 13, speak of "physical" death for those children of God who are disciplined by God, but who refuse to confess their sin to the Father and "get back in fellowship".
God's Word is crystal clear that His Born Again children are ALL "eternally secure".
The question then is, are you a "born again" child of God? See See Bible FAQ number 2 for a Biblical answer.